06 June 2012

HASH V1:CH4 The Secret

In this installment of Hardcastle's Adventures in Self Help, I dive into Chapter 4 of The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. Each chapter of The Secret contains "Secret Summaries" at the end which I've . . . edited . . . to better reflect reality. Enjoy!

Chapter 3 – Powerful Processes
Every time you look inside your mail expecting to see a bill, guess what—it'll be there! Each day you go out dreading the bill! You're never expecting anything great.”

In saying this, contributor Lisa Nichols illustrates one of the huge underlying problems with the premise of this book. If you go out every single day expecting a bill, then why isn't a new one showing up each day? And what, exactly, would they be for if you did? 

In other words, there is a logical explanation for the mundane things in your life, and none of them fucking involve the Universe no matter how badly you want them to. Generally they can be traced back to some previous action. Boiling down the mechanisms of cause and effect to “think something, something happens” is not revolutionary, it's not life-changing—it's simple minded.

“All that we are is a result of what we have thought.”

She's quoting the Buddha here. I practice secular Buddhism, and I found this rather exasperating. Appealing to ancient wisdom is a cheap but easy way to lend legitimacy to yourself in the eyes of your readers. But knowing what I know about Buddhist philosophy, I'm pretty sure even the Buddha would punch this lady in the gut if he knew she was applying his maxims of mindfulness to a book with an entire chapter about how to implore the Universe to provide you with material wealth. At least she implores her readers not to take it for granted:
“[A]s I get out of bed, when one foot touches the ground, I say “Thank,” and “you” as my second foot touches the ground. With each step I take on my way to the bathroom. I say “Thank you.” I continue to say and feel “Thank you as I am showering and getting ready. By the time I am ready for the day, I have said “Thank you” hundreds of times.
Can you imagine witnessing this shit go down?

I have no issue with Ronda Byrne urging her readers to feel gratitude for their lives, and I can't make fun of it too much. I'm not even going to add a “but.” Appreciate the things you have and the life you live, all the time. That's a good message. I'm not particularly grateful, however, for Byrne's bullshit.

She mentions famous inventors like Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell to illustrate her point that the power of visualization drives the Secret, and that you “not only have the mind [the inventors] had, but much more.” Presumably, since Ms. Byrne knows The Secret, so does she. I'm dubious. But she has “proof” that visualization is effective:
“Everyone has the power to visualize. Let me prove it to you with a picture of a kitchen. For this to work, first of all you have to get all thoughts of your kitchen out of your mind. Do not think of your kitchen . . . You saw a picture of your kitchen in your mind, didn't you? Well, then you just visualized!”
Wait, what did she just prove, exactly? That I can remember what my own kitchen looks like, and that putting it in my mind by mentioning it will . . . put it in my mind? Uh, amazing.

Secret Summaries:
Expectation is a powerful attractive force. Expect the things you want, and don't expect the things you don't want. Which means you can go ahead and take the spare tire off your car. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Gratitude is a powerful process of shifting your energy and bringing more of what you want into your life. Be grateful not for its own sake, but so that you can get more shit.

Giving thanks for what you want in advance turbo-charges your ability to ignore the things you already have.

Visualization is the process of creating pictures in your mind of yourself enjoying what you want. When you visualize, you generate powerful thoughts and feelings of having it now. The law of attraction then returns that reality to you, in the form of permanently dwelling in a fantasy world.

To use the law of attraction to your advantage, obsess about it constantly, not just sometimes.

At the end of every day, before you go to sleep, go back through the events of the day. Any events or moments that were not what you wanted, replay them in the mind the way you wanted to go. This way, you will not only be permanently dwelling in a fantasy world, but you can also edit the things that make your mindset inconvenient or unrealistic, so that they match up with your fantasy!

Previously:

No comments:

Post a Comment